There are two ways to add a printer to Windows 11. It can be added automatically or manually. If you have ever wondered about how it works, keep reading.
How to connect a printer to Windows 11 automatically
It will take only a couple of minutes in case your Windows is able to identify the printer automatically without any effort. There is nothing complicated, as literally, all that you have to do is to tap on some buttons. So, if you want to connect your printer to Windows 11, you should follow the steps which are mentioned in the section below:
- First of all, you should open Settings. To do that, you should do a right-click on the Start button and tap on Settings.
- After that, you should head to the Bluetooth & devices section, and then, you should go to the Printers & scanners section.
- Then, you should click on Add device. The process of identifying the printer will take a couple of seconds, so you should wait a bit. Then, you should tap on the Add device option, which you can find next to the one you want to install. You should take a note that in case you have an old printer, it may be that it wouldn’t be displayed in the list, so you should click on Add manually instead, and then you should select My printer is a little older. Help me find it to search for it. To know more about adding a printer that isn’t listed, read the manual instructions below.
- To complete the process, you should wait till the printer would be installed. It’ll be displayed in the list with any other printers and scanners you’re already using.
How to manually connect a printer to Windows 11
In some cases, the computer doesn’t want to identify the printer automatically in an appropriate way. If you have faced this issue, you can try to connect the printer manually. To do that, you should follow the instructions which would be mentioned in the section below:
- First of all, you should open Settings. Then, you should head to the Bluetooth & devices section. After that, you should enter the Printers & scanners section and then, you should click on Add device.
- After that, you should wait for a couple of seconds, till your Windows will try to identify the printer automatically. Then, you will see the Add manually option displayed, you should tap on it.
- Then, you will see a few options displayed there. It will depend on your situation and how you want to connect to the printer. There will be 5 options displayed, all of them are available for wireless or network-attached printers. In case your printer is connected locally/directly to your computer, you should tap on the Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings option, and then you should click on Next.
- Next, you should select the port the printer is connected to, and then you should click on Next. If the printer is connected by USB, you should look through the list to find it there. There are also options for parallel (LPT) and serial (COM) ports.
- Next are your options for installing the printer driver. If the printer came with a disc that includes the driver, you should choose Have Disk to browse for it, or, you may select Windows Update instead.
- After that, you should wait for several minutes to let Windows populate the list of option. Then, the screen with the message Windows is updating the list of printers. This might take a few minutes. will be displayed.
- Next, the the printer’s manufacturer should be selected from the left column, and after that, you should choose the model from the right column. Then, you should tap on Next.
- Then, you should give a name to ] the printer, and after that, you should tap on Next. After that, you might be asked about the version of the driver to use, in this case, you should click on Replace the current driver. Although, if you’re the installed driver is appropriate, you can select Use the driver that is currently installed.
- After that, you should wait a bit to let the printer be installed Windows 11.
- Then, you should select Do not share this printer, and then you should tap on Next.
- In the end, a success page will be displayed to you. In order to finish the process, you should click on Print a test page in order to try out the printer, or you can also tap on Finish to see the printer in your list of devices.
All in all, the process is simple enough. The main thing is to know the steps.