There are so many smart devices, nowadays, that are able to make life so much convenient. It becomes an essential part of our life, from giving people from different countries an opportunity to communicate with each other using video calls to managing your smart devices using a downloadable app. It’s not about that because we are kind of relying on our smartphones and laptops for our personal or professional matters.
Mac OS is a perfect laptop device by Apple. Its compelling processor, exceptional security protocols, sleek and slim design for portability, and pleasing interface are considered to be the most convenient ones. Mac is already giving a lot and justifying its price tag. However, the Mac devices may struggle with the battery timings, mainly if you use them more frequently.
Moreover, when you are working sitting somewhere, the battery draining while working or online streaming might not be a big problem because you get to recharge it. However, if you are traveling or working on the go, you must think of ways to save its battery life so you can get the most out of it.
What is Screen Timeout or Screen Saver on Mac
Among many other options, screen timeout is the one in your control. It is an essential feature in your Mac that gives you the ability to adjust the screen timing when you do not use it and sleep the laptop to save the battery. On Mac devices, you may also come through the feature with the name Screen saver.
Do not confuse the feature Screen Timeout with the Screen Time on Mac. Screen Time is the one that provides information about how much time you are spending on any specific application. In comparison, the screen timeout is entirely different.
How to change Screen Timeout on Mac
Not putting a password on Mac is out of option because of security. Of course, the quick timeout may annoy you so much, as you have to enter the password again and again. Fortunately, you can adjust the screen timeout according to your preferences, as you may. It means you can change the time your Mac takes to lock the screen, so you don’t have to face hassle between work, streaming movies, or taking a mini-break in between video calling.
Also, adjusting it won’t take time, and you can change the screen timeout whenever you want. Here are a few quick steps to remember that will address your issue in no time.
- First of all, you should go to the system preference which is followed by Apple Menu.
- Then, you should select Desktop and click on the Screen saver option.
- When you click on the screen saver, a drop-down menu with the time intervals will be displayed. Choose 20 minutes or less according to your preference. Remember, you have to maintain a healthy balance, so you might not face any post-setting problems.
- Now, you should hit the show all button and go back to the system preference menu.
- There you should make sure if your Mac device has password protection. So, you should go to security and then, you should click on “Require password to wake this computer from sleep.”
- Now, you should close the window and test your Mac. To do that, you should put it on sleep or leave it for a few minutes to check the screen saver functionality.
Now, enjoy working on your Mac without any annoying timeouts. However, suppose your time interval is long. In that case, you can always manually put your Mac on sleep mode by using the hot corner option or desktop menu.
How to activate low power mode on Mac
Starting with macOS Monterey, Low Power Mode reduces your Mac’s screen brightness and clock speed to make your Mac quieter and its battery last longer. Here’s how to enable it.
So, basically, low power mode saves your battery. It is done by lowering screen brightness and reducing processor clock speed on a Mac. The screen wouldn’t be as bright as it used to be, and the responsiveness of apps becomes slower than usual on Mac.
Unfortunately, it isn’t available to choose a specific battery percentage threshold for the Low Power Mode to kick in automatically on Mac.
How to save your battery on Mac
So, if you want to activate low power mode on Mac, you should follow the steps which would be mentioned in the section below:
- First of all, you should head to the Apple menu in the top-left corner and click on “System Preferences.”
- After that, you should tap on “Battery.”
- In Battery preferences, you should click on “Battery” again. Then, you should check the box beside “Low Power Mode” in the right-hand pane.
If you want to activate Low Power Mode while your Mac is charging, you should tap on the “Power Adapter” menu in the sidebar. After that, you should check the box beside “Low Power Mode.”
At any time, you can click the Battery icon in the corner of the menu bar, and it will give you an opportunity to check whether the low power mode is activated or not. If you want to turn off the Low Power Mode, you would be required to head to the Battery menu or Power Adapter menu in System Preferences again, and then, you should uncheck the box for “Low Power Mode.”