It’s hard to believe, but Sony’s PlayStation 4 works with a mouse and keyboard. This feature makes it simpler to type, use the web browser, and generally get around more quickly. Some games even support mouse and keyboard controls.
Unfortunately, most games still aren’t able to work with a mouse and keyboard. Developers don’t want you dominating in Call of Duty because you can precisely aim with a mouse while your opponents are using controllers. Still, this is a handy trick to know, and we’ll show you how to do it.
How to connect your mouse and keyboard
A USB mouse and keyboard or a wireless Bluetooth mouse and keyboard can be used to connect your mouse and keyboard.
To connect a USB mouse or keyboard to your PS4, you should:
- Connect it to the PS4’s USB port. You’ll find two USB ports which are located on the front of your console. These are the same ports you use to charge your PS4 controllers. If it’s a wireless USB mouse or keyboard,you should connect the wireless dongle to the USB port instead. Your PS4 will take a moment to recognize the device, but it should work after just a few seconds.
- A wireless Bluetooth mouse or keyboard also may be connected to your PlayStation 4. Bluetooth is standardized, so any Bluetooth mouse or keyboard should work. You don’t need mice and keyboards marketed just for the PS4 or game consoles.
To connect your PS4 to a Bluetooth device you should:
- First, you should open the Settings screen on your console.
- Then, you should tap on “Devices,” and click “Bluetooth Devices.”
- After that, you should put your mouse or keyboard into pairing mode and it will be displayed on this screen, ready for your PS4 to connect to it.
If you want to customize the settings for connected mice and keyboards you should follow the steps below:
- First of all, you should open the Settings screen.
- Then, you should click on Devices.
- In the end, you should tap on “External Keyboard” or “Mouse.” For keyboards, you can choose the type of keyboard, the delay and repeat rate when you hold down keys. For mice, you can select whether mouse is right or left-handed and select a pointer speed.
How to play games using a mouse and keyboard
Basically, you can use the mouse and keyboard to play games. There’s nothing stopping developers from supporting mouse and keyboard controls in their games. In practice, though, most games don’t support mouse and keyboard controls. You can install a game and try to use the mouse and keyboard, but they usually won’t work. You’ll need to use the PlayStation 4’s DualShock 4 controller instead. You can remap the controller’s buttons, but you can’t remap the keyboard’s buttons to make it function as a controller.
Some games do work, but this is rare. The list is very short. The PlayStation 4 versions of Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn and War Thunder both support mouse and keyboard, which makes sense as they’re massively multiplayer online games where you also play with mouse-and-keyboard PC gamers.
There is actually a way to use a keyboard and mouse to play, but it’ll cost you. Products like the Xim 4 adapter work with PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360. To let the adapter translate your keyboard and mouse inputs into DualShock 4 button presses, sending them to your PS4, you should connect a keyboard and mouse to it . The adapter will thus let you play PS4 games like you’d play a PC game, keyboard and mouse. The adapter basically works by tricking the PS4 into thinking you’re using a DualShock 4 controller.
So, all in all, the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One both support mice and keyboards, but these consoles are still designed for controller gaming. While the PS4 supports mice and keyboards, you’ll need an adapter or just a separate gaming PC if you want to actually play most games with them.
Hope the article was helpful for you.