LG’s Magic Remotes use Bluetooth technology for TV connectivity. However, sometimes it can be tricky to connect the remote to the TV, especially if you’ve just got a new remote. Fortunately, you can use your phone to check if the Bluetooth on your remote is working. This approach speeds up problem identification and resolution, making the troubleshooting process more efficient.
How to check Bluetooth in LG Magic Remotes (2015-2020)?
In case your LG TV’s Magic Remote is unable to establish a connection, you can examine the remote’s Bluetooth transmission by utilizing your smartphone’s Bluetooth capability through the following steps:
- Before beginning the Bluetooth check, make sure that your LG TV is turned off. This will prevent the remote control from automatically connecting to the TV during the process.
- Ensure that your remote’s batteries are functional. Pressing any button on the Magic Remote should activate the illumination of the Power button.
- If the Power button remains unlit, you will need to acquire new batteries.
- If the remote was previously linked to the TV, unregister the Magic Remote by simultaneously pressing and holding the Home and Back button for 5 seconds.
- Once the remote is initialized or unpaired, you’ll notice the LED power button on the remote blinking three times.
- Turn on the Bluetooth on your Smartphone. To do this, swipe down from the top of the screen.
- Press the Bluetooth button to go to advanced settings.
- Press Pair new device.
- At the same time as pressing the Pair new device on the Smartphone, press the OK button (Central scroll wheel) on the Magic Remote.
If the Magic Remote emits a Bluetooth signal, you should see “LGE MRXX” (letters or numbers instead of XX) displayed. Please note that this check is only applicable to specific Magic Remote models.
Following these steps, you can determine if your Magic Remote emits a Bluetooth signal for pairing with your LG TV.
If you have an iOS device, it’s not a big deal. The steps are no different for Android devices.
How to check Bluetooth in LG Magic remotes (2021-2023)?
LG Magic Remotes 2021-2023 differ little in button layout from 2015-2020 remotes. However, I will provide a guide for the new remotes as well, and to add variety to the guide, I will now demonstrate the process of checking the Bluetooth remote using an iPhone. Here is how to do it:
- Power off your LG TV to avoid the automatic connection of the remote control to the TV during the procedure.
- If the remote has been connected to the TV before, you can deregister the Magic Remote by pressing and holding the Home and Back buttons together for about 5 seconds.
- When the remote is successfully unpaired, you will observe the LED power button on the remote flashing three times.
- Go to Settings and then to Bluetooth.
- Press the OK button, which is the central scroll wheel, on the Magic Remote.
- When the Magic Remote sends out a Bluetooth signal, you’ll see “LGE MRXX” (substitute XX with actual letters or numbers).
What remotes can be tested for Bluetooth connectivity with a phone?
Not all Magic Remote models can support bluetooth check on the remote via a smartphone.
Not compatible remotes: Magic Remotes featuring a 3D button, like MR600 and MR650, cannot use this Bluetooth check method.
Supported remote models: You can perform this test on Magic Remotes MR650A, MR18, MR19, and MR20, MR21, MR22, MR23.
LG remote can’t connect to the TV via Bluetooth: What to do?
If you locate the remote among the discovered devices, there’s a strong likelihood that it’s functional. However, if it doesn’t establish a connection with the TV or ceases to function after connecting, consider the following possibilities:
Your remote may be damaged. When your remote control can’t link up with your TV through Bluetooth, it could mean the remote is damaged. This might occur if the remote was bumped, exposed to moisture, or due to other factors.
Compatibility issues. In some cases, the remote control may not work with your TV due to a lack of compatibility. This may mean that the remote control and the TV’s Bluetooth signals cannot communicate effectively. In such cases, it is best to purchase a new remote control.
You should check compatibility to get the right remote control for your TV. To do this, follow this link and see which remote control will work with your TV model.