Internet access in today’s world has become a very important option for every home. All people today have their own personal Internet access points. Most often these are Wi-Fi routers for wireless Internet access.
If you have bought yourself such a new router, you may be interested in changing the password and name of your Wi-Fi-network. Such an option is available on any router. Including you will be able to change this data in a Spectrum router.
Why you should change your network name and password
As soon as you get a new Spectrum router it’s a good idea to change the default name and password for your Internet access point immediately. There are several reasons for this.
The main one is of course security. If you set your router’s password and name which will be different from the standard one you invented then it will be more difficult for hackers to break this password. Accordingly, they will not be able to access your home network and the devices that are connected to it.
Another important reason to change your password and network name is the convenience of using it. Agree that a password that you yourself created is much easier to remember and enter into all the necessary devices than a random set of letters that are written in your router’s manual.
You can quickly and easily change the network name and password via the web interface of your Spectrum router.
How to change the Spectrum router network name and password
For this, you will need any device connected to the router with access to the Web browser. Any browser will do. What you need to do next:
- Open the browser on your device and enter your router’s IP address into the search box and press Enter.
- You can find it next to Router login. Usually, it’s 192.168.1.1. However, it can vary depending on your setup.
- If the “Your connection is not private” warning appears on the screen, click Advanced and then Continue.
- You will then need to go into your router settings. To do this, you will need the Login and Password for your Spectrum router. You can find this information on your router. Usually, the standard password and login to enter the settings for Spectrum routers is admin and admin.
- Next, select the 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz WiFi panel. If you have a dual-band router, you can choose from two different bands, each with its own WiFi network name and password.
- After that, go to the Basic tab.
- Here you will find the SSID (Service Set Identifier) field which is the name for your network. Here you need to enter a name that will be used when searching for your network. It will be available to all users within the range of your WiFi.
- Then enter a new WiFi password. You can find this field in the Security Settings section. The default security setting is personal WPA2. There is a field where you must enter a new password which must be at least 8 characters long.
- Next, you need to verify the WiFi password. Enter the new password in the field that appears after this.
- At the end, click the Apply button. It’s located in the bottom right corner. This will save your changes and then you can close the router settings page.
If you change the network name or password of the WiFi network you’re currently using, you will be logged out. It’s best to change the settings for a range that you aren’t currently using. Then you can switch the network and make changes for a different range.
How to change your Spectrum router password using the My Spectrum App
Spectrum routers also have a handy mobile app that you can use to change router settings with your smartphone. To do this you need:
- Download the My Spectrum app on your smartphone. You can find it in the Google Play Store for Android devices or in the Apple App Store for iPhones and other Apple devices.
- Once installed, open the app and enter your Spectrum username and password, then press Login.
- After that, you will need to select Services.
- Here click on View and Edit Network Information.
- You can now enter your new password and network name.
- Finally, tap Save.
As you can see it’s pretty easy to do. This way you can quickly change the settings for your Spectrum router.