Social network and video sharing platform TikTok selects videos for its users in recommendations based on a number of factors, including the age of users.
However, many of the platform’s hundreds of millions of active users are under 18, raising privacy concerns for minors, although the app aims for a “full TikTok experience” for users 13 and older, according to the safety center.
In 2021, TikTok made privacy settings stricter by making all accounts under 16 private and removing the ability to change your date of birth in the app after your age has been set. Now, to change your date of birth in TikTok, if it’s not correct, you’ll have to contact the app’s support team.
How to change your age on TikTok
If you want to change your age on TikTok, you can email the TikTok support team to request a change or you can do it through the app’s Support menu. Here’s how to do this:
- First of all, open the TikTok app and sign into your account;
- Go to your profile and tap on the “three lines” icon in the top-right;
- In the “Settings and Privacy” menu, scroll down and select “Report a Problem”;
- After that, select “Account and Profile”;
- Tap “Editing profile”;
- Choose “Other” and “Need more help?”;
- This will take you to a feedback form where you can enter a text request to change the wrong date of birth on your account.