The Personal Hotspot feature plays a vital role in using your iPhone. For example, it saved my life several times when the Wi-Fi router at home didn’t work or the power went out. In such cases, I just share the Internet from my iPhone and continue to work on my laptop.
Fortunately, there is nothing complicated about setting up Personal Hotspot. Often this is done automatically, and all you have to do is turn it on. However, one thing you can still change is its name.
When you turn on your hotspot, its name by default is just the iPhone’s name. To make finding the right option in the networks list more straightforward, you should change the name to a unique and recognizable one. What’s more, you can also set and change the password.
So here’s how it works.
How to rename your iPhone’s hotspot
If you want to change your iPhone’s hotspot name, you can follow these steps:
- First, open Settings and go to General.
- After that, tap About.
- Then tap Name.
- Finally, enter the new name and go back to settings to confirm.
By the way, you can even add emoji to the hotspot name. You should also know that this setting changes the device name everywhere, including the Apple ID account.
The hotspot will be publicly available for viewing from other devices, but you can only connect to it with the password specified in its settings.
How to change iPhone hotspot password
If you want to change your iPhone hotspot password, you can follow these instructions:
- Open Settings and go to Personal Hotspot.
- Then tap Wi-Fi Password.
- After that, set your new password and tap Done.
That’s it. As you can see, there’s nothing complicated about changing the hotspot name and password. Now you can enable Personal Hotspot and share the Internet with your friends or for your own needs.
How to enable the mobile data saving mode on your iPhone
The iPhone can automatically save mobile data. For many users, its consumption is critical – not everyone has unlimited data. Low Data Mode allows the smartphone to consume less traffic during its use. Well, here’s how to turn it on.
- Open Settings and go to Mobile Data.
- Then select Mobile Data Options.
- Finally, enable Low Data Mode.
Activating this option will cause installed iPhone apps to consume significantly less data traffic.
- How to hide default apps on iPhone
- Will your alarm go off on Do Not Disturb mode on your iPhone?
- What does live mean in Find My on iPhone or iPad?
What happens to your iPhone when you activate Low Data Mode?
Here’s what changes in the apps if you’re using mobile data in Low Data Mode:
- The App Store stops automatically playing videos and disables automatic updates and app downloads.
- When using the Music app, automatic song downloading is disabled; streaming content quality is also reduced.
- Mobile Internet in apps is used only if apps are launched – traffic consumption is turned off for apps running in the background.
- FaceTime’s video quality (bitrate) worsens – the program optimizes it, considering the drop in network bandwidth.
In addition, photos and videos stop syncing with iCloud, automatic backups are disabled on the iPhone, and the streaming video quality drops.