Alexa is Amazon’s cloud-based voice service available on more than 100 million devices from Amazon and third-party device manufacturers. With Alexa, you can build natural voice experiences that offer customers a more intuitive way to interact with the technology they use every day. We offer a collection of tools, APIs, reference solutions, and documentation to make it easier to build for Alexa.
Start building for voice today by creating Alexa skills, connecting Alexa to devices, or integrating Alexa directly into your products.
Alexa AI assistant is used to do things like set alarms and answer your questions, so if you have Amazon devices like Echo speaker, you probably use Alexa. The default voice of Alexa isn’t the only option though. Basically, it is available to change both the language and the accent of the voice. You may even use a certain celebrity voice if you want to change things up.
However, you should be aware that Alexa’s language is able to be changed only with help of specific devices, like the Amazon Echo. And you may lose some capabilities if the language and the accent you choose don’t match.
The information below will give you an opportunity to understand how to make changes to Alexa’s voice or language using either a voice command or the app.
How to change Alexa’s voice on an Echo
- 1. First of all, you should say “Alexa, change your voice.”
- 2. Then, specify the device you want to change the voice for, if necessary.
- 3. After that, you should select the new voice.
Keep in mind that only Alexa’s voice can be changed, but not the language — using this voice command method.
How to change Alexa’s voice or language on the Alexa app
- 1. First, you should open the Alexa app on your iPhone, iPad, or Android.
- 2. After that, you should click on Devices which is located in the bottom menu.
- 3. Tap Echo & Alexa.
- 4. Then, your Echo device should be chosen within the app.
- 5. Next, you should tap Language.
- 6. In the end, choose the desired language or accent.
How to make Alexa whisper or speak less
- 1. First, you should open the Alexa app.
- 2. Find and click More which is located in the bottom toolbar.
- 3. After that, you should choose Settings.
- 4. Then, click on Voice Responses.
- 5. In the end, you should switch on the Whisper mode option for quieter responses, or toggle on Brief mode to have Alexa speak less.
How to make Alexa speak slower
Alexa can be set to speak slower by saying the voice command “Alexa, talk slower.” And of course, if you want a reversed effect, you should “Alexa, talk faster”. When you’re ready, say “Alexa, go back to your default speed” to reset the response speed.
What celebrity voices Alexa has
Alexa has a wide range of options, for example, if you want to get rid of Alexa’s default voices, you may purchase certain celebrity voices, like those from Samuel L. Jackson, Melissa McCarthy, and Shaquille O’Neal, for 4.99$ to voice your Alexa.
Keep in mind, not every response will be voiced by the celebrity — for answers to more complex questions, Alexa’s voice will take over.
To change the voice to celebrities’ ones, you should do the following steps:
- 1. First of all, you should say “Alexa, introduce me to [celebrity name].”
- 2. After doing that, you’ll be directed to purchase that celebrity personality for your Alexa. Approve the purchase to start using the personality.
Take a note that celebrity voices don’t work with first-generation Echo and Echo Dot wearables.
Alternatively, you can also purchase the celebrity personality for your Alexa via Amazon.com. Once set up, you can then use the celebrity’s first name instead of saying “Alexa” for voice commands.