With the transition of many businesses and services online, it is not surprising that the need for convenient services for the exchange of money online has increased significantly. Among the most convenient and popular applications for this purpose is the Venmo platform.
Venmo is a peer-to-peer payment service owned by PayPal. Venmo allows users to send and receive money. With this app, you can request, send or receive money from other users with a Venmo account.
But, sometimes it may happen that you have not entered the number correctly or have pressed the wrong digit and sent money to the wrong person or sent incorrect amount. In this case, you will probably be interested in the possibility of getting your money back.
Is it possible to cancel a transaction in Venmo
There is no official possibility to cancel the payment if you made a mistake. You have to ask the person you sent the money to return it to you and hope that he will agree. If the user will refuse to return the money, you should contact the support service. But Venmo does not guarantee that they will give you your money back.
But if you have sent money to a phone number or e-mail address without an active Venmo account, you still have no chance to get it back. You can use the “Take back” function.
How to use the “Take back” function
Using it is quite easy. If you need to cancel your payment, which was made to a user without an active Venmo account, you need to:
- Open the Venmo app on your phone
- Click on the three horizontal lines on the right
- Then click on “Incomplete” in the list. This will show you your pending payments
- You will find two tabs “Requests” and “Payments“, tap on “Payments“
- The payment you have sent will be displayed. You will also see your phone number or email address and the dollar amount of the payment. Click on “Take back” next to the payment
- After this payment will become gray and you will see a message “You canceled this request“
The next time you come back to the main screen or re-enable the application the funds will be returned to your account
How to send a request to the person you accidentally sent money to
If you accidentally send money to a person who has an account with Venmo, the funds will automatically be added to that user’s account. You can’t undo it, but you can ask him to return your money. This is the fastest way to try to get your money back. You will need to :
- Open the Venmo app
- On the main screen, click on the blue “Pay or Request” button at the bottom
- Next you need to enter the name of the user you sent the money to by mistake.
- Enter the same amount you sent in error
- The App will ask you to add a note where you can say you sent the money by mistake and ask another user to return it
- Next, click “Request“
- A message will appear asking you to confirm the request
If you do not receive a reply from another user, you will have to contact our support team. They may be able to help you.