Google Docs is a great full-featured service. One of the main advantages is that Google Docs gives an opportunity to its users to automate many things. For instance, the formatting of your text can be easily changed and those modifications can be simply spread to the whole document.
Unfortunately, you cannot alphabetize the list, because this feature isn’t supported by Google Docs automatically. Alphabetizing directs to sorting a list in alphabetical order. It can be done in other word processing apps, like MS Word.
The information below will explain everything about how to alphabetize in Google Docs.
How to sort the paragraphs using the ‘Sorted Paragraphs’ add-on
To use this method, you should launch an add-on which is named ‘Sorted Paragraphs’ in your Google Docs document. Further, it can be used to sort your paragraphs in alphabetic order.
An add-on is a piece of software that may be established from a website (like Google Docs). You can use it in order to expand the attributes of the website. In this case, for example, Google Docs doesn’t have a feature for alphabetizing.
So, in this case, the add-on can be established to do that. Google Docs suggests add-ons for different missions. With its help, you can even add citations to your document and change the page size.
The advantage of this technique is that it gives you an opportunity to sort your paragraphs alphabetically. They can also be sorted in reverse alphabetical order, from Z to A. Unfortunately, there’s one limitation to this technique. It’s impossible to use this feature on lists on tables. If you still want to do that, you should follow the instructions which are mentioned below:
- First of all, you should log into your Google account and open the doc you want to alphabetize.
- Then, you should tap on “Add-ons” in the taskbar which is located at the top of the screen.
- After that, you should tap on “Get Add-ons…“.
- Next, the pop-up window will be displayed, there you should enter “Sorted Paragraphs” in the search bar which you can find at the top right.
- Then, you should see the “Sorted Paragraphs” by Filipe Werneck as the first result. Press the “+ FREE” button that is located in the top-right corner.
- Then, you should select the Google account to which you want to add it.
To finish the process, you should allow Sorted Paragraphs permission to be installed onto your Google account in order to confirm your choice.
How to sort a list of items using Google Sheets
Google Sheets provides you with an option that gives you an opportunity to automatically sort a column of values. It can be done in both alphabetical orders and reverse alphabetical order.
To do that, you should simply open Google Sheets and then, place the list of items that you want to be sorted in a column. Even paragraphs can be sorted in this way. After that, the sort function can be used in order to automatically alphabetize the column.
The main advantage of this approach is that it’s opportunely and adjustable. You can sort items in a table as well as paragraphs. Although, copy-pasting from Google Docs to Google Sheets may require more effort and time.
To complete this method, you should follow the steps which are mentioned below:
- First of all, you should open your Google Sheets spreadsheet.
- Then, you should duplicate the items that you would like to be sorted from Docs an then you should paste it in Sheets.
- After that, you should click on the ‘Data’ tab which is located at the top left corner of the screen and sort.
- To finish the process, you should copy and paste the sorted list back to your Google Docs document.
All in all, the process isn’t complicated at all.