Everyone who has ever built a computer or tried to build it in more detail is faced with such a component of any computer as a motherboard.
The motherboard is the basis for modular devices, including computers. This means that it’s to the motherboard you will connect all the other components of your system, such as video card, processor, hard drives, RAM, and so on.
Of course, if you want to get the most out of your PC you need to go deeper into the settings of your motherboard so you can use extra features and just understand how your computer works.
Many motherboards have various non-obvious features that can affect performance or give you access to various extra features. For example, the M-Flash feature on MSI motherboards
What is M-Flash technology
In comparison to other boards which may require an additional BIOS chip, M-Flash technology on MSI boards has an advantage. With this technology you don’t need any additional components, you can simply save all the data of the BIOS on a USB key. This can be a great solution for backups or upgrades.
You can also use this data as a portable BIOS chip for booting later.
How to backup BIOS with M-Flash
You may need a BIOS backup for many different situations. For example, you reset and want to quickly restore your system or you change computers but want to keep your BIOS settings.
On MSI motherboards, it’s actually quite easy to do this. You will need a simple flash drive for that.
To perform this operation you need to:
- Attach the flash drive to your computer.
- Turn on your computer and go to BIOS, then go to CMOS Setup Utility.
- Then use the arrow keys to select M-Flash and press Enter.
- The following menu will open and you will need to select Save File to Selected Device.
- Then use the “+” and “–” buttons to select the desired folder on the flash drive.
- When you select the desired folder press Enter and scroll to “Start to save the file“. At this point press Enter again.
- Confirm your action with the OK button.
- If the error message “The filename already exists. Overwrite it?“. Press Enter.
- When the message “ROM Image has been saved to media successfully” appears. Press Enter.
- At the end press ESC to exit from the BIOS.
This will allow you to backup the BIOS to your flash drive.
How to flash BIOS with M-Flash
If you decided to update or flash your MSI motherboard, the M-Flash function on MSI motherboards will also help you.
For this, you again need a flash drive and your computer. To flash the motherboard you will need:
- First, you need to go to the website of the manufacturers of MSI motherboards and find exactly your motherboard model. Remember that you don’t need a similar model, but your exact version.
- Then just go to Support and download the latest BIOS version you need.
- Then you can boot into the BIOS and go to the System Information section.
- Here you will see the current version of the BIOS, it would be better to write down this version, so that in case of errors it would be possible to roll back to this version.
- Then go to M-Flash.
- Here you need to select your USB device which is connected to the computer, and specify the file on it.
- Accept the prompt after viewing and allow the firmware to continue.
- REMEMBER that under no conditions should the firmware installation process be interrupted. Even if you think there is no progress, just wait, as restarting may damage the process.
- After the installation is complete, reconfigure the BIOS as you see fit and press ESC to exit the bios.
In this way, you can simply reflash your bios or put another version of firmware on it. As you can see with the built-in M-Flash function this is as easy as possible.