Your iPhone has a feature iMessage, where you can add someone to a group text message when there are three or more users in the group and everyone are the owner of Apple devices like an iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch. In case if you need to remove someone, there should be four or more people in the group, who use Apple devices. With iMessage — an Apple feature — you can add someone to a group text message as long as there are three or more people in the group and everyone is using an Apple device like an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. To remove someone, you need four or more people in the group and everyone needs to be using an Apple device.
You can’t add or remove people in group SMS/MMS messages and you can’t add or remove someone if they’re using a non-Apple device.
A group text is great for keeping everyone in the loop, but sometimes the text conversation becomes annoying, and the text notifications need to stop! In the steps below, we’ll show you how to leave a group chat on iPhone in the Messages app.
How to remove yourself from a group text
If message notifications are driving you crazy, you have the option to either leave the group chat or mute text notifications. If everyone in the group text is using an iPhone or another iOS device, they’re using iMessage. Here’s how to leave a group chat on iPhone if every member of the chat is using an Apple device.
- First, you should open the Messages app.
- After that, click the group text you want to exit.
- Then, you should press the top header of the conversation, where the Messages profiles are.
- Next, select Leave this Conversation.
- To confirm, choose Leave this Conversation again.
- Tap Done.
- All group chat members will see you’ve left. You won’t receive any more messages from this group text.
Don’t have the option to leave the conversation? This means some users are not using Apple devices to text you. In this case, keep reading.
Why it is unavailable to leave group chat on iPhone
If the option to leave is unavailable, some members may not be using Apple devices. Keep in mind, if everyone in the group text has an iPhone, your text messages will appear in blue text bubbles. If there is no option to leave the group chat and you’re seeing green text bubbles instead of blue, you can still mute the conversation to stop receiving notifications from the group text, but you cannot leave a group text on iPhone if it includes non-Apple users.
Now you know how to leave a group message on your iPhone, or mute it if you’re unable to leave. Hopefully, this will bring you some peace and quiet instead of all those notifications disrupting your productivity.
How to remove someone from a group text message
- First, you should click the group message that has the contact you want to remove.
- Then, select the group icons which are located at the top of the thread.
- After that choose the gray arrow icon to the right of the contacts, then swipe left over the name of the person you want to remove.
- Tap Remove, then tap Done.
Keep in mind that it is available to remove someone only if the group has four or more people, and everyone is using an Apple device, like an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
How to add someone to a group text message
- First, you should click the group message that you want to add someone to.
- After that, the group icons at the top of the thread.
- Then, the gray arrow icon should be tapped to the right of the contacts, then tap Add Contact.
- After that, fill in the contact that you want to add, then tap Done.
If you want to add someone to a group message — but they’re using a non-Apple device — you need to create a new group SMS/MMS message because it is impossible to add them to a group message using iMessage. You can’t add someone to a messages conversation that you’re already having with just one other person.