DoorDash is a food delivery service. In other words, it’s an Uber for food (just like Uber Eats). The app DoorDash, founded in 2013 in San Francisco, allows you to order food from nearby restaurants. The app also allows people to sign up for a food delivery service (nicknamed “Dashers”) and, apparently, to sign up for restaurants to provide food delivery services to customers.
The Red Card is a DoorDash driver’s most valuable asset. It gives Dash drivers (or “dashers”) the ability to pay for a customer’s order when the restaurant or store is not in the DoorDash system and requires prepayment. Therefore, it gives customers more options. Red cards are issued along with the activation and welcome kits, which are given to Dash drivers as part of the sign-up process.
In this article, we are going to tell you how to get your personal Red Card from DoorDash and how it works.
How to sign up for the Red Card
If you want to get the Red Card from DoorDash, you have to sign up as a DoorDash driver first. To join the Dash drivers team, you have to meet certain requirements:
- First of all, you must be 18 years old;
- You should have a car, scooter or bicycle to work on;
- Of course, you’ll have to provide your driver’s license and social security number;
- You have to give your consent to a background check.
After all of this, you can continue with signing up:
- Go to the Dasher website;
- Start registering by entering your email address and phone number;
- Then, your name and password you want to use;
- Select the type of your vehicle. If you are using a car, you will be asked to enter its data;
- Submit your agreement for a background check and a vehicle check if you will be using one. It only takes a few minutes;
- Next, add your bank information for payment;
- Finally, download and install the Dasher app on your smartphone.
After you’ve worked your first shift, the app will prompt you for your address to send you a welcome or activation kit. The welcome kit consists of your Red Card and an insulated thermal bag. The activation kit contains the same and a “Getting Started Manual” as part of your orientation.
How to use the Red Card from DoorDash
You can use your red card to make payments when prompted through the Dasher app. Once the order has been accepted, “Pay with Red Card” or “Place Order” appears in the app. It can only be used to pay for DoorDash orders at the specified restaurant and at the specified time. Only the amount owed will be transferred to the card. It is not intended to be used for payments, tips, or any other type of driver reward.
Dash drivers should only use the red card when prompted by the app. After the app says “Pay With Red Card,” you will place an order and then go to the restaurant to pay for it.
DoorDash ensures that the right amount for the order is transferred to the card, including a small buffer amount just in case. During the payment process, select “credit” as the payment method.
Red cards do not have PIN codes. Therefore, attempts to pay with debit cards will be unsuccessful.
How to set up the Red Card using an iOS device
If you want to set up the Red Card on your iOS device, you have to follow these steps:
- First of all, open the Dasher app;
- Tap “Account”;
- Tap on the red link at the top of the screen that says “Did DoorDash give you a payment card?”;
- Then, type in your Delight number and the last four digits of the long number at the top.
How to set up the Red Card using an Android device
If you want to set up the Red Card on your Android device, you have to follow these steps:
- First of all, open the Dasher app;
- Then, tap the “three lines” icon in the top left of the screen;
- Choose the “Red Card” from the menu;
- Finally, type in your Delight number and the last four digits of the long number at the top.
How to replace the Red Card with a new one
If you want to replace your Red Card from DoorDash with a new one, you have to follow these steps:
- First of all, go to the DoorDash Store;
- Open the “Dasher Gear” section;
- At the bottom of the page, choose the Red Card in your area;
- After that, choose your preferred delivery method, amount, then “Add to Cart”.
You have also to be aware that you still can deliver food without the Red Card, but you will be limited to orders that do not require prepayment.