Amazon’s Alexa is one of the most innovative technologies for households. The product is appreciated by many and has become a part of life for most smart device enthusiasts. Alexa, which response to voice commands, finds information over the Internet in seconds and provides it back to the owner via a voice form. It can also receive and send calls, control other smart devices in the house, order food, and simply even communicate with the user.
What means light on top of Alexa
The light on top of Alexa is its status indicator – another feature that helps the user better understand and interact with the device. Generally, it shows a blue light on the top of Alexa. Later, it starts swirling when you give a command to Alexa.
In addition to the fact that Alexi’s main color is blue, she can also display other colors, which in turn have specific messages.
For instance, if it is emitting a pulsing violet color ring, it means there is a problem with the Wi-Fi setup. Similarly spinning blue light that ends with a purple flash and spinning orange color of light stands for “do not disturb” mode and that device connected internet respectively.
Likewise, the flash of purple color light after ending the conversation indicates that the “do not disturb mode” is still active.
However what if Alexa is glowing with a red light ring? A red light is usually a signal of something wrong or dangerous and in such cases, you need to understand what is behind the color and how you can solve the problem. In this article, you will find the answers to this question.
What does Alexa’s red ring mean
Usually, if there is a red light ring on the Alexa it usually replies with “Sorry, I’m having trouble understanding you right now”. The main reason that provokes red light is that your Alexa has some problems with its microphone or there is some problem with the WiFi connection of Alexa.
How to fix the red ring problem of Alexa
In general, there are several options for solving this problem. Almost all of them are simple enough to implement and you can read about them below.
- Solving the microphone problem of Alexa. If you faced the Alexa’s red light ring is is probably your mic is disabled and here is how to fix it:
- Make sure your Amazon Alexa is connected properly
- Keep your device turned on, and check the microphone button is also flashing red on the top of device
- Showing red on the top, means you or someone else have accidentally or purposely muted the mic of the device
- Now, just press the mic button once
- Wait a movement and check red light on the mic is vanishes
- Once the red light from the mic button disappears, your device is working fine now
- Checking the Volume. Sometimes the problem is in volume and Alexa is trying to communicate with you, but you simply cant hear her – hence the AI is confused and you just simply need to increase the sound of Alexa:
- Locate the volume up button on the top of Alexa
- You will find a “+” Sign on it
- Press it 3-4 times to increase the Volume
- Or you can simply say “Alexa, Volume 4 (up to 10)”
- Restarting the Alexa. The technique is not perfect, and therefore there may be some internal inconsistencies in Alexi’s work. Try to restart it by removing the power cable and counting 1 to 7 and after that connect the cable
- Issues with Internet. Check if the Wi-Fi signal is strong or if there is no signal at all. Your plan validity may have expired or you just need to restart your Wi-Fi router.
- Update Your Device and Firmware. To download the latest version of the Alexa app on your device follow the given steps:
- Open the Alexa app on your device
- Open the app’s main menu and get setting options
- In the setting option, select the device option>about section
- Choose the software version option in the list
- Wait until it is searching for the latest version and upgrading the firmware
- Reset the Device. To factory reset Alexa, follow the below steps:
- Plugin the Alexa echo device and search a tiny hole on the top of it. Take a paper clip or a needle and try to press the factory reset button inside that hole
- Hold the button until the red color of the ring on the top of the Alexa turns orange. The orange color of the ring will indicate that your command for factory reset has been accepted and it is under process
- The orange light that occurred during the factory reset will automatically turn on and off. Which will represent that your device has reset and has entered into setup mode
- De-register Alexa from Amazon Account:
- Open the Alexa app
- Then kindly tap on the settings
- Now, after doing this you have to choose your device
- Then click on the “Deregister” option there
- Select the confirm option
- You can face the issue not finding the “Deregister” option. In this case you have to give access to your Amazon account
- When you complete it then make sure to disconnect your Alexa with the internet and then after that turn it off. Also, remove the cord wire from Alexa
- After that you have to wait for 5 to 10 minutes and then again connect the wire and turn on the Alexa. When it gets completely turned on then connect it with a strong internet connection
- Advanced Troubleshooting to Fix Alexa Red Ring Issue. If none of the above help, try these options:
- Switch off your mobile internet connection (Alexa only supports dual-band and ad-hoc networks)
- In the second step, you need to login to the router portal. You can use any browser
- As the next window occurs enter your IP address in the field
- Now you need to login to the dashboard with the help of default username and password
- After that choose the wireless setting option
- Now you to change the channel number for both the networks ie. 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz.
- Set the value of the channel for 2.4 GHz between 0-11 whereas for the 5.0 GHz set the limits between 36-48 or 149-165
- Change the values to the highest if they are not set to auto. You have to also enable the option of Disable port scan and Dos protection
- So now in the last step, you need to connect your Alexa echo device to the 5.0 GHz network. It will give high-speed internet connection to Alexa which in turn will emit red ring due to bad internet connection
And that is how to fix Alexa’s red light ring. Good luck!