These days, smartphones rarely allow us to miss our PCs. Writing emails, editing videos, consuming content, smart devices in the hands of smartphone users have become so powerful that they have replaced many other devices, including the good old PC.
However, there are times when you still miss your laptop or PC desktop. And one of them is when you need to use those handy shortcuts that are often associated only with PCs and laptops.
People often overlook the ease of pressing a few keys at the same time and getting immediate results. One such keyboard shortcut that users used to miss when browsing the Web on our iPhones is the powerful “Ctrl + F” (“Command + F” on Mac).
So, here’s how to do a Control-F search on your iPhone.
How does the Control + F option work on an iPhone
The “Ctrl + F” search command will help you find one particular word among many images and text. Simply press the “Ctrl” and “F” keys simultaneously on your PC keyboard and a nifty little search bar appears where you can type the specific word you are looking for and that word will be highlighted on that screen. However, unfortunately, this doesn’t work if you are using an iPhone or iPad.
However, that doesn’t mean you can’t search for words in the browser window on your iPhone or iPad. You can also do something similar to “Ctrl + F” on the iPhone. All you have to do is follow these simple steps below.
How to search for the text in Safari on an iPhone
If you want to search for an appropriate word in Safari on your iPhone, you have to follow these steps:
- First of all, go to Safari and open the web page you want to search on.
- Your iPhone comes pre-installed with the Safari browser. Find it and open it.
- Once you have opened the app, you need to type the web page address in the search bar at the top to open the web page you want to search.
- Type a word in the search bar.
- After loading the desired web page, you can type the specific word or phrase you are looking for into the address bar.
- Go to “On this page”.
- After entering a word/phrase in the search box, a number of options will appear below the word.
- In this case, you need to go all the way down to “On this page”, below which will be the word you typed with “Find” in front of it. This is the option you need to select.
- Finally, word is highlighted on the web page.
Just like on a PC, the word you entered will be highlighted on the web page. At the base of the page, you will also see a box with the word you are searching for, as well as the number of places where it has been found on the page.
Use the arrows in front of it to go to other places on the page where the word was found. You can simply tap on these arrows accordingly to find the specific sentence you are looking for.
When you’re done searching, you can find another term by typing it into the search box in the base, or, if you’re done, just tap on the “Done” option in the box and you’ll be left with your usual web page.
How to search for the text in Chrome on an iPhone
Safari may be the default browser on your iPhone, but that doesn’t mean you can’t use Chrome, the world’s most popular browser. If you’re not a Safari user and want to take advantage of the “Control + F” command in Chrome, you can do that too.
- Open the Chrome app on your iPhone.
- Once you have successfully loaded a web page in the Chrome app, you need to tap on the “three dots” icon in the lower right corner of the screen.
- Then, scroll down the list and find the “Find in page” option and select it.
- Enter a word or phrase. Like Safari, there are also up and down arrows in front of this search bar that you can use to jump to the result you’re looking for.
- Finally, do another search or tap “Done”.
Once you have completed these steps, you will be able to find the text in Chrome on your iPhone.