Whenever someone pings you on Discord, you know that they either want to ask you a question or draw your attention to something. If you see your screen at that time, you’ll notice a ping notification.
What do you need to check who pinged you on Discord
Discord is one of the most used messengers at the moment, and it serves as an excellent tool for accomplishing various tasks. Whether you’re a gamer or just running your own business, and it’s important to have a place to bring a certain category or categories of people together, Discord makes sure that no one misses important messages and topics. In addition to the fact that Discord allows you to create separate chat rooms on the same server, you can also ping specific people personally if you want to draw their attention to a chat message, etc.
However, what happens if you get pinged, but you’re not online at the time? That’s okay, in this article you’ll find out how discord accumulates messages while you’re offline and how to find out who pinged you.
How to know who pinged you via Discord on desktop
The fact is that even if you miss messages from the channel or personal correspondence, and especially if you were pinged while you were absent, don’t worry, Discord can accumulate all missed messages for the last seven days. Here’s a short guide on how to find out who pinged you:
- Open Discord by navigating to Discord.com or via the desktop app, then sign in to your account
- Go to your home page or any Discord server
- At the top-right, click on the @ sign icon. It’s next to the question mark icon. The Recent Mentions pane will open
- Here you can decide who you want to see pings from. To view those from the server you’re on, choose This Server. For multiple servers, select All Servers
- Click the drop-down menu on the far right labeled Display. Use the filter checkboxes to Include @everyone mentions, Include @role mentions, or both
How to know who pinged you via Discord on Mac
If you have a Mac, the process is about the same as on Windows. All you have to do is follow these steps:
- Access Discord by going to Discord.com or using the desktop app
- Log in to your account, then go to your home page or any server
- Next to the question mark at the far top-right, click on the box sign icon. The Recent Mentions pane will open
- Now you can choose the pings you want to see. To see them from the server you’re on currently, select This Server, or to see from multiple servers, select All Servers
- Open the drop-down menu on the right labeled Display. To be more specific, check the appropriate checkbox to Include @everyone mentions, Include @role mentions, or both to see everything
How to know who pinged you via Discord on an iPhone and iPad
Just like with other versions, Discord on smartphones has a notification function. So don’t worry if you suddenly don’t have access to the desktop Discord version at a certain time. You can download the app for iOS or Android and check your missed messages from there. Here’s a guide on how to do it on your iPhone and iPad:
- Open the Discord mobile app, and sign in to your account
- Press the @ icon at the bottom of the screen. The Recent Mentions screen will display
- To narrow down the pings you want to see, tap the Filter Options icon at the top-right corner
- Under Server Options, select the appropriate option to see pings from the server you’re on right now or All Servers
- Under Filter Mentions, choose whether you want to Include @everyone mentions, Include @role mentions, or both. Your mentions will display
- By tapping one of the messages, you’ll automatically jump to the server and channel where the ping originated, with your message highlighted
How to know who pinged you via Discord on an Android
The process is quite similar for Android owners:
- Log in to your Discord account
- To open Recent Mentions, tap the @ icon at the bottom of the screen
- To choose the pings you want to see, tap Filter Options
- Beneath Filter Mentions, choose whether you just want to see pings from the server you’re on right now. Then select whether you want to Include @everyone mentions, Include @role mentions, or both. Your recent pings will display
- Tap the ping if you want to go to a particular ping’s server and channel. You’ll automatically jump to the channel with your message highlighted
The methods above will help you to check who contacted you and pinged you on Discord at the time you were absent.
What does ping mean
The term itself appeared quite a long time ago, in 1983, and was used as the name of a built-in utility for checking the integrity of connections and transmitted packets. By the way, this utility is supported today in all three popular operating systems (Windows, Linux, macOS) and is often used to check the Internet connection.
So, in modern parlance, ping is the delay between sending and receiving Internet packets. This parameter is measured in milliseconds. That is, a high ping leads to a delay in chat. Moreover, this definition applies not only to Discord. For example, the ping in games is the time until the signal reaches the server. For example, if you get a ping of 5000, that means your computer needs 5 seconds to transmit the signal (which is a high ping, by the way).
Now let’s imagine that real life has a ping. In this case, the players will magically teleport across the field and the ball will hang in the air. This is roughly what the consequences will be (hang-ups, harsh voices) if the delay gets too high.