High-definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) is a useful thing that comes with your MacBook, as it gives you an opportunity to hear audio. HDMI can transfer uncompressed video data or condensed or uncompressed digital audio data from HDMI-obedient appliances to a compatible system.
Unfortunately, sometimes, users face issues with the sound. It may happen due to many reasons. For example, HDMI not working or HDMI cable issue, the issue with MacBook or monitor, incompatible or faulty device driver, choice of the incorrect playback device, and others. Even though there are a lot of reasons why the HDMI produces no sound, there are still a lot of known keys that exist to solve that. So let’s get down to the process of connecting HDMI to your MacBook and how to fix some issues with that.
How to connect HDMI from Mac
Many iFolks have trouble connecting a TV via HDMI cable to their MacBook Pro. The junction displays an ideal image. However, the sound doesn’t come through the TV speakers. Instead, it’s produced through the MacBook speakers. When users attempt to customise the settings they don’t find an option to select the HDMI output, just the inner speakers. This problem is common on various TVs (Samsung, Panasonic, Vizio, Element, Sony) and also other laptops and PCs. The reasons which this problem may be caused by can vary. The main thing is that we know how to help you overcome this problem. Fortunately, we know the way how to fix this sound issue not only on laptops.
It’s important to know that if you have MacBook Pro which is older than the mid-2010 model, passing audio through the Mini Display Port won’t be suitable for your model of Mac. Mac computers can also use an HDMI cable or adapter to connect to a TV, display, or other HDMI devices.
How to fix no sound from HDMI on Mac
It’s not a common issue, but sometimes there may be some problems in producing sound from HDMI on Mac. Fortunately, there are some ways to solve this trouble. Moreover, not only Mac users face this issue, but also Windows ones. Fortunately, if you have faced the problem with getting sound played on your Windows 10, we also know how to help you to solve that.
Many users face issues not only with the sound on Mac. There’s a range of common issues that can make the experience of using a Mac much worse than it can be. One of these issues is Mac isn’t turning on, but we know how to fix that.
So, let’s get down to the issue of producing sound from HDMI on Mac and the way to fix that:
How to choose your TV as a sound output device
Not only Mac users face this issue, but PC ones also. Fortunately, we know how to fix no sound on your PC.
If you want to choose your TV as a sound output device, you should follow the steps which would be mentioned in the section below:
- First of all, you should click and hold the Option key on the keyboard and tap on the speaker icon in the Mac menu bar located in the top right corner of your screen.
- After that, you should take a look at the drop-down menu and select your HDMI–connected TV.
When the process is completed, you should check if the problem is fixed. If not, you should try the way below.
How to customize System Preferences
If you want to adjust System Preferences, you should follow the prompts which would be mentioned in the section below:
- First of all, you should tap on the Apple icon on your Mac menu bar, and click on System Preferences.
- After that, you should tap the Sound icon.
- Then, you should take a look at the 3 tabs available (Sound Effects, Output, and Input), and tap on Sound Effects.
- Next, you should head to the “Play sound effects through” section, tap on the drop-down, and select your TV.
- After that, you should click on the Output.
- Then, you should choose your TV in the section “Select a device for sound output.”
- Next, you should open Finder or Launchpad to head to Applications, then Utilities, and then Audio MIDI Setup, and do a double-click on it to launch.
- After that, on the left side of the window, there would be HDMI displayed. In the “Source” tab, you should select your TV from the drop-down list.
- If there is no speaker icon next to HDMI in the list on the left, you should: Tap on the wheel icon in the bottom left window. Ensure that sound output is selected, and you can see the speaker icon next to HDMI in the list of devices.
If there is still no sound produced from your TV, you should log out of your account on your MacBook Pro, and then log back in. If the issue is still not fixed, you should try the method below.
How to change the format to 41000.00Hz
If you want to set the format to 41000.00Hz, you should follow the steps which would be mentioned in the section below:
- First of all, you should head to Applications.
- After that, you should launch Utilities and do a double–click on MIDI Setup.
- To complete the process, you should choose the HDMI device on the left side, and change the “Format” values to 00Hz.
If there are still no changes in sound after processing this method, you should get down to the next one.
How to restart both devices
Power cycling would cause both devices to reset their formats and in most cases, solve the trouble. So, if you want to do that, you should follow the steps which would be mentioned in the section below:
- First of all, you should completely switch off each of your devices by powering them down completely.
- After that, you should take out their power supply and click and hold the power button for 3-5 seconds.
- To complete the process, you should put everything back in and make sure that the problem is solved.
As you can see, there’s nothing difficult in solving this problem. Mac has been provided with all features that make it a great choice for its users.
What adapters should be used to connect your Mac to the TV
Adapters can be used not only for HDMI on Mac but also for other ports.
Mac computers that have any of the ports that are mentioned below can be attached to HDMI devices:
- If your Mac has an HDMI port, you can attach it directly to HDMI with an HDMI cable.
- If your Mac has USB-C ports, it can be connected to HDMI with an adapter, like the Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter.
- If your Mac has Mini DisplayPort, it can be connected to HDMI with a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter or cable.
Those adapters can help you to connect your Mac to different kinds of devices, for example, to a TV, display or another HDMI device.
What are specifications
Mac computers that have a built-in HDMI port come with HDMI 1.4 or later and can be used with:
- Up to 4K at 60Hz on adjustable Mac models.
- Up to 4K at 30Hz on versatile Mac models.
- 8-channel/24-bit audio at 192kHz, Dolby Surround 5.1, and traditional stereo.
- HDCP-encrypted playback from iTunes and QuickTime Player (version 10).
- HDR on consistent Mac models.
Before using an adapter, you should search for all the resolutions and other specifications that can be presented with this adapter.
- How to control an external device connected via Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) with the remote control on Samsung Smart TV
- How to change to HDMI on Insignia TV without remote
How to connect the Mac to a TV with HDMI
Your Mac can be also connected to your TV with HDMI to your TV. In this way, you’ll be able to watch your favorite content on the bigger screen. This is a great choice for a big company, as it’s uncomfortable to have a small screen when there are many people watching.
So, to connect the Mac to a TV with HDMI, you should follow the steps which would be mentioned in the section below:
- First of all, you should plug in an HDMI adapter to the video output port on the Mac.
- After that, you should plug in the HDMI cable to the adapter. In case, your Mac has an HDMI port, the cable can be directly plugged into the port.
- Then, you should make sure that your Mac is powered on.
- To complete the process, you should make sure that you’ve put the TV’s video input source over to HDMI.
All in all, Mac’s a great choice for people that prefer convenience.