If you’re facing network connection issues, Wi-Fi network conflicts may be at fault. If you want your device to forget old network connections and delete them from Windows’ list of connections, that may solve your problem and give you an opportunity to get online again.
How to forget a saved network in Windows 11
When you connect to a network in Windows 11, it would be saved for the future. That may consequence in issues and conflicts which interfere with your opportunity to join the internet. If a connection has been misconfigured, the information Windows 11 remembers about the connection can also cause problems.
It is possible to have Windows 11 fully forget a network to solve those problems. Windows 11 will then consider the just-forgotten network as a brand new connection. So, if you want to have Windows 11 fully forget a network connection, you should follow the steps which would be mentioned in the section below:
- First of all, you should tap on the network icon in the action center on the taskbar.
- After that, you should press on the network status button which is located in the top left.
- Then, you should do a right-click on the network you want to forget.
- To complete the process, you should press on Forget.
- When you click on the network you’re currently connected to, your computer will be disconnect from that connection immediately.
- After you have done all the steps above, Windows 11 will delete that network from its list of connections.
How to let a network to forget?
In the list of networks in the action center, in the Wi-Fi menu, you will only see networks that are currently in connection range. It means, that it’s unavailable to forget a network that’s out of range. If you want to force a network to forget, and it isn’t in the list, it can be done using the Windows 11 settings app.
So, if you want to force Windows 11 to forget a network from Settings, you should follow the steps which would be mentioned in the section below:
- First of all, you should do a right-click on the network icon in the action center on the taskbar, and then, you should tap on Network and internet settings.
- After that, you should tap on Wi-Fi.
- Then, you should tap on Manage Known Networks.
- To complete the process, you should find the network that you want to be deleted, and then, you should press on Forget.
How to remove all networks in Windows 11
If you want to delete all networks and start new, it can be done by following the steps from the section which is displayed above and tapping on each network. Of course, it requires some period of time if there are a lot of networks stored on your Windows 11 device. Fortunately, there is a faster method that can be done via the Command Prompt. If you do this method, your stored networks on your Windows 11 can be removed all at once.
So, if you want to remove all networks that have been stored on your Windows 11, you should follow the steps which would be mentioned in the section below:
- First of all, you should open the Command Prompt.
- After that, you should fill in netsh wlan delete profile name=* i=*
- To complete the process, you should press on Enter and all stored networks will be deleted. You will be able to see all the deleted networks in the Command Prompt window.
Why it is important to remove networks on Windows 11
Surely, if there are no issues with your Windows 11, you won’t obligatory need to clear your network list. Windows 11 automatically stores the information about networks it has been connected to, as in this way, it would be simpler to join networks in the future. This list can be very big in case your device has been used in many different places and has been connected to many networks.
The main reason users remove networks on Windows 11 is to resolve network problems on Windows 11. There are many cases when the device joins many times the wrong Wi-Fi network, or you’re unavailable to join the network you want. Those issues on Windows 11 can be fixed just by removing the networks you don’t want to use or removing a network you’re trying to join.
People sometimes have Windows 11 forget network connections because they don’t want the device to connect to the internet. The easiest way to solve the problem is to remove the network connection on Windows 11, to let the user must reenter the Wi-Fi password to set up an internet connection.