As many Apple users use iMessage to communicate with others, surely they send audio messages with text, emoji, and photo messages. Audio messages usually disappear after the recipient has listened to them. Fortunately, there is a way to keep voice messages.
How to save audio messages on iPhone
After you have received an audio iMessage and played it for the first time, a clock starts counting down from two minutes. When there is no time left, the audio clip would be immediately disappeared without warning.
In case you want to keep the voice message after you have listened to it, you should click on the “Keep” option which is located in the voice message. After you have done that, the audio clip would be always available in Messages for playback.
How to stop audio messages from being deleted on iPhone
If you don’t want to use every time the “Keep” button to save audio messages, you can change the Messages app’s settings. In this way, the voice messages would no longer disappear after 2 minutes and would be available in the Messages app. So, if you want to do that, you should follow the steps which would be mentioned in the section below:
- First of all, you should open the Settings app.
- After that, you should click on “Messages.”
- Then, you should head to the Audio Messages section, and click on “Expire.”
- To finish the process, you should select “Never.”
If you don’t trust your phone to keep the audio messages for as long as you’d like, you can also import them onto your computer. However, the methods to do this are a bit complicated.
How to export audio messages in other ways
Prior to iOS 12, you could export a copy of the audio message to the Voice Memos app, where you could share and email it. Starting with iOS 12, though, this doesn’t work.
To truly save an audio message in iMessage, you’ll instead need to get the message onto your computer first. Here’s how to do that.
How to save audio messages that you’ve received
If you’re a Mac user, you can export the voice messages you’ve received to your Mac. Once there, you can save the files anywhere on your hard drive. To do that, you should follow the steps which would be mentioned in the section below:
- First of all, you should set up your iCloud account so your iMessages show up on both your iPhone and Mac.
- After that, you should open the Messages app on your Mac, and then, you should head to the conversation that has the voice message you want to save.
- Then, you should locate the voice message and right-click on it. There would be a menu displayed, you should move your mouse over “Services,” and then tap on “Show in Finder.”
- After you have done that, the voice message file will be added to a folder named “Transfers,” which would be opened. To finish the process, you should tap and pull that file to your desktop, documents, or any other folder.
The file will be in either .caf or .amr format, which can be opened by the default audio player on your Mac, along with several other popular media players, like VLC.
How to save audio messages that you’ve sent
If you want to save audio messages that you have sent, you should follow the steps which would be mentioned in the section below:
- First of all, you should head to the Messages app on your iPhone and open the conversation where the voice message that you want to be saved is.
- After that, you should click down on the audio message. A pop-up window would be displayed. Then, you should click on “More…” from the menu.
- Then, you should tap on the arrow icon which can be found in the lower-right corner.
- After that, there would be a new text message page displayed, with a blank recipient. You should fill in not your phone number, but an email address that you have access to.
- Then, you should be assured that you’re connected to the internet, and then click on the Send button to send the email.
- To finish the process, you should wait for a while, after that, you should check your email for a message with “No Subject” from your phone number. The voice message file will be attached.
As you can see, there is nothing complicated in the process, and even there are several methods to save the voice message.