AirDrop is Apple’s Bluetooth way of data transfer. That’s a great feature that allows you to instantly transfer files, like images, videos, and even documents from one Apple device to another.
AirDrop doesn’t reduce the quality of files during the transfer and makes it easier and faster. So you can transfer your files without losing their quality and that may be important sometimes.
To transfer files using AirDrop, the sender must select a name on their screen from a list of available devices nearby.
However, if you don’t like your phone’s default name or just want to come up with a new one, you can easily change your AirDrop name in the Apple device settings menu. In this article, we’re going to explain to you how to do this.
How to change the AirDrop name on iPhone
If you want to change the AirDrop name on your Apple device, you have to follow these steps:
- First of all, open Settings;
- Navigate to “General”;
- Select “About” at the top of the screen;
- Tap “Name”;
- Enter any device name and select “Done” to rename the device.
Once you’ve completed these steps, your Apple device will be renamed. Also, you don’t need to save the new iPhone’s name – it would be saved automatically. So just tap on the back arrow to go back to the ‘About’ section.
How to change the AirDrop name for your iPad
If you want to change the AirDrop name for your iPad, you should follow the steps which would be mentioned in the section below:
- First of all, you should head to Settings
- After that, you should click on General
- Then, you should head to About
- Next, you should click on Name.
- To complete the process, you should clear the existing name and then fill in the name which you want to have. After that, you should click on Done.
How to change the AirDrop name on your Mac
The new name is used for more convenient sharing between two devices, as it is easier to recognize the device. If you want to change the AirDrop name on your Mac, you should follow the prompts which would be mentioned in the section below:
- First of all, you should head to your Mac’s menu bar. There you should find and tap on the Apple icon.
- After that, you should click on System Preferences
- Then, you should head to Sharing.
- Next, you should tap on the padlock icon and key in your password to authorize changes.
- After that, you should take a look at the top of the window and fill in a new name that you want to have on your Mac.
- To complete the process, you should tap on the padlock icon again to finish the changes.
When you change your Mac’s name, it will also change your local network address. So, if there are some apps or devices where this address is used, you should make sure that you have made changes for them also.
How to change the name of your iPod classic, iPod nano, or iPod shuffle
If you want to change the name of your iPod classic, iPod nano, or iPod shuffle, you should follow the steps which would be mentioned in the section below:
- First of all, you should connect your iPod device to your computer.
- After that, you should open iTunes from your computer.
- Then, you should locate and click on your device.
- Next, you will see the name of your device displayed at the top of the left sidebar. Tap on it.
- To complete the process, you should fill in the new name for your device, which will be used for your AirDrop, and then you should click on Enter (Return).
- Your device and iTunes will be automatically synced up, so the new name you chose for your iPod will now be displayed on your iPod.
What to do if your AirDrop is unable to see other devices
How to fix the problem on iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:
- Go to Control Center and look over your AirDrop settings. Both the send and receive devices need to be signed in to iCloud. Also, the email address or phone number associated with the sender’s Apple ID must be in the Contacts app of your iOS device.
- If there is no AirDrop option displayed for the device it might be required to change from “Contacts Only” to “Everyone” in order to be discoverable.
- Switch off Personal Hotspot when you try to use AirDrop. It can be switched off by heading into Settings, and then to Cellular of the recipient’s iOS device.
How to fix the problem on Mac:
- Turn on the AirDrop
- Look through the ”Allow me to be discovered by” setting at the bottom of the AirDrop window.
- If your Mac is 2012 version or earlier, should tap on “Don’t see who you’re looking for?” in the AirDrop window or sharing sheet of the sharing Mac. After that, you should tap on “Search for an Older Mac.”
- If your Mac has OS X Mavericks or earlier, you should take a kook whether an AirDrop window is open on that Mac.
- Make sure that “Block all incoming connections” is switched off in Security & Privacy preferences of the receiving Mac.
That’s all that you need to know about the AirDrop on Apple devices.